Wright Flyer.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Thu Dec 18 15:57:10 AKST 2003

--On Thursday, December 18, 2003 7:48 PM -0500 "Henderson,Eric" <Eric.Henderson at gartner.com> wrote:

> What I am really interested in the ways to get the plane to fly better and
> if anyone saw it as a CG issue?

Yes, the engineers on at least two teams saw CG as an issue.

> I thought that the collective knowledge pool in this list might have some
> ideas on fixing the flyability issue.

The History Channel program showed the fix:
move the engine forward and have the pilot
sit up in front of the leading edge instead
of reclining on the wing.  Of course, that
introduces more drag, but they fixed that
with a Harley Davidson engine and superlight
materials.  Their lookalike weighed substantially
less than the original.  The demonstration of the
weakness of carbon fibers in shear was like magic.
Then they showed how they used wavy sheets of
CF to make lightweight poles.  Awesome.

						Marty #2874
# discussion-request at nsrca.org