Wright Flyer.

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Thu Dec 18 07:26:48 AKST 2003

Just watched a show on the History channel last night.  The Wrights used
wing warping, without knowing at the time about adverse yaw.  (They
later corrected this omission with a steerable rudder.) I saw one of
their early man-carrying gliders replicated. When  it tried to turn, it
actually slid sideways down the slope of air, spanwise, until the lower
wing tip hit the sand.  Looking at their difficulties, it is hard to
believe they enjoyed the level of success they did.
Several replicators on this TV show changed things so much I would be
embarrassed to call it a Wright Flyer.  Harley engines, Briggs and
Stratton engines, (with an electric starter, no less!) were used, the
tail moments were changed, wheeled landing gear, etc. etc. until the
airplane didn't even look like the Wrights airplane.
The people who have flown replicas, (mostly very experienced pilots)
have said that the original was very hard to fly.  Must have been.  I'll
take a Boeing.
But, having been privileged to see the original in the NASM, I couldn't
help but be filled with awe and reverence at what the Wrights had
accomplished.
Bill Glaze