Winter projects

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 18 05:42:32 AKST 2003

I had an Avistar with YS45 that I flew very hard. It would fly inverted with a little coaxing and I could actually get it to knife edge from end to end. Stories of my Avistar YS45 flights are legendary at my local field. Most people thought I had a 60 on it. Unfortunately as a trainer for a first time pilot it was a little too fast. Even with power and throws turned down it was still a bit too fast, especially on landing. Relative to a pattern plane it was slow, but the sink rate catches a lot of first timers off guard. I work as an instructor all summer long and the best pure trainer (very limited aerobatic potential) is the Kadet LT 40 ARF. Smooth, slow, stable, well built and light. I even had the unfortunate task of landing one after an elevator failed on one of my students' Kadets. It was locked in a near neutral position and I was able to turn it with rudder which made the nose dive. I added full power until it started to climb and managed to make a respectable landing in the
 high grass without even breaking the prop.

Very good trainer.

John Petterson <rcpilotjohn at comcast.net> wrote:

st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Nat –

You will probably get a lot of recommendations, but our club’s experience over the past 5-8 years is that you can’t beat the Hobbico Avistar. Semi symmetrical wing so you can get to inverted flight on it, yet it flies and lands as slowly as you could want. Get the one without the engine and add an OS or TT .46 bb engine instead of the cheap .40 that comes with the more complete setup.

John Petterson