Winter projects

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Thu Dec 18 03:42:25 AKST 2003

I'll chime in since I JUST bought an arf for my 7yr old son for christmas yesterday...  I'll be more generic though...focus on the airfoil, and avoid the flat bottom trainers.  I went with a Great Planes Stik, just because it was convienient, but I think any shoulder wing semi or full symmetrical airfoil is your best bet for that age.  I had my son on a buddy box twice last year...total of 25min flying time...and after 5 minutes of pure hell (him mashing the sticks to the corners) he settled down and on the second tank, flew virtually the entire flight doing both loops and single rolls.

It will take a bit to get him landing...but they're sponges at that age...I think he'd outgrow a flat bottom airfoil in a HURRY.  So I decided to trade a small amount of stability, for a HUGE increase in potential aerobatic performance.

By the way those flights this past year were on a Hobbico Avistar...flew great....the covering was cheesy (stick on...an older arf...that may have changed) so I went with the GP arf which is monokote.

-Mark