Fin sections or lack thereof

Alan Simmonds alan at gspceilings.com
Thu Dec 18 01:52:33 AKST 2003

Hi Tom

Interesting question.  I too like to have a proper airfoil for the
fin/rudder but I suspect that aerodynamically it's so close to being a
flat plate (in terms of % thickness), it makes little or no difference.

On the other hand... Having a fat L/E like the PL/ZN designs
  A)makes it easier to join the two halves in the mould, and
  B)increases profile drag a little to help slow the model in downlines.

Regards
Alan