Hobby shops in Osaka Japan

ed.schummer ed.schummer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 15 23:18:37 AKST 2003

Try this for a start:  http://www.rc-champ.co.jp

If you can chew yourself through this (much of it is just "elementary" as Sherlock would say..), you'll get an idea of the hobby shops.  These folks have physical shops both in Osaka and Tokyo, although if you actually go there, don't be surprised by the size (or lack thereof) of the physical premises.  Many modelers in this country have larger spaces for their hobby...

Mail order in Japan offers greater selection, usually superfast (often next day in Japan) delivery, and you really don't care how far out in the boonies the place is actually located.  As I said earlier, the back of the hobby magazines are gold mines for places like the above...

I've ordered stuff from places like this by e-mail and/or phone and had it delivered to me at a hotel in Osaka or Tokyo the day after I arrived.    Most things can be found cheaper here in the US, but recently servos have become pretty good deals over there.  I use primarily Futaba and have found, for example, 9151's for around $ 85 including delivery.

There is a place in Shizuoka called SMC (Shizuoka Model Center) that supposedly has a 500sq.m. show room, but I've never had the time to trek down there.  Phone number is (0543) 67-0238.  They don't speak that much English, but really try very hard to please.  They have some of everything and they ship all over the world.  Their ad in the leading R/C publication (Radio Control Technique) is 9 pages long.  No current web page that I'm aware of.

Ed