Public Fields

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Dec 11 15:00:35 AKST 2003

Richard, since I fly out of a city park designed for model airplane use, let
me take a shot at your questions, in (parentheses)

MattK

> Subj:Public Fields
> Date:12/11/2003 9:44:11 AM Eastern Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:rclindberg at comcast.net">rclindberg at comcast.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Perhaps those of you that fly at publicly owned fields (city, county, etc.)
> could answer a few questions I have concerning administration, maintenance
> and
> safety at such facilities.
>
> Does the city/county allow anyone to use the facility, regardless of club or
> other (e.g., AMA) affiliation?  Who sets the safety rules?  How are they
> enforced?

(Anyone can fly but must have AMA at least applied for. The club sets the
Safety rules mostly based on AMA safety code. There are few club rules that are
there as add ons to the AMA and specific to the filed layout. The club has
safety sheriff and all club members are basically safety deputies)

> If a club uses that field as their 'home' field, what is the relationship
> with
> the city/county?  Does the club rent or lease the facility?  Typical cost?
> As
> before, who sets the safety rules, and who enforces?  Does the club restrict
> usage, and if so, how?

(The club has a good relationship with the City Council. We have a few
members who are in reasonable touch with the council at most times, and have a voice
when sticky issues arise. As far as I know, we don't pay to fly at the Park.
It is a city owned park and has other park type ammenities there for the rest
of the community. The only restriction we enforce is AMA membership is a must.
We advise on model flyability or on proper training but these are not
restrictions per se')

> If a club 'controls' the field, who is responsible for the maintenance?
(The city maintains the outfield grounds (about 50 acres), the restrooms,
drive way and parking areas, and electricity and phone service. The club
maintains the infield grounds, pit area tables, office and pit area awning. We also
paid for the recent runway surface treatment)

> Insurance? (not sure)
>
> Can you make a comparison with 'private' clubs and their facilities?

(Compared to all other private fields I've been associated with over the
years, this is the best ever. Also compared to another public city field in Texas
City that I was involved with, this is far better. So it depends what you are
comparing)