Public Fields

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Thu Dec 11 07:30:48 AKST 2003

Richard,

I was  Pres of the Richarson Radio CC for three years. We have a field
that Collin county decided should be developed into a model airplane
flying site. They approach my club to develop and manage the site using a
20 year virtually no cost lease. They expecte dus to develop this empty
field including shelters and a paved runway. All the county did was supply
the land and install a road ($20K).
So we had to submit plans, get them approved by the county and manage the
field, including acess, safety etc.  Problems quickly arose when we were
supposed to allow anyone with an AMA  membership access. This was the rule
when we had our previous field also leased by the county. It is impossible
to manage the site as the county wanted, that is be "responsible" when we
had non club members who had no regard for rules and regulations or club
repercussions flying unsupervised at the site.  AFter investing in excess
of $30K at teh site, we had people flying there for over a year who were
not and never were going to be club members. Included in this group were
1/3 scale 106 db planes, 6:00 am iceholes trying to beat the Texas heat,
flying "sideways" over houses (at 6 am) to avoid the sun, and a crowd with
no investment nor any regard for the club.   So we introduced into the
club rules a guest policy and put the word out that unlimited non club
member flying would not be tolerated, but a person could fly 5 times a
year as a guest. This allowed anyone seriously considering joining the
club lots of opportunity to check the field out and allowed pattern dudes
like Wayne Gallligan to drive up from his place (1 hour drive) and fly
with us. In a period of 2 months all the  freeloaders disappeared with
only minor grumbling-and from me that was fine!
I also was adament in meeting with teh county that for our club to be in
control and manage the site, we had to be the authority on who flys and
who does not. Surprisingly after detailing the above situation the county
100% agreed, which was a 180 degree turn around or in our case ...a split
S.  I actually have had more grief for club member old guys who cannot
seem to understand that the rule has changed. I think my club's ability to
get this control came from the fact that we had a good, solid story
coupled with the desire of the county to have an open flying field "under
control" without any county people having to control or manage it. So now
the field is open...under limited circumstances, and the county only need
to deal with the far and few complaints generated by those pesky things we
call "neighbors".  Two people who complained violently for a year about
the planes. Club abatement included overfly zone education AND  installing
a 101db noise rule that eliminated the 108db main culprit plane....No
complaints in about a year now...it setlled down after the planes got
reasonably quite. Even if there is an accidental overfly...the neighbors
do not hear it.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering