Public Fields

Chuck Czarnik CCzarnik at arclp.com
Thu Dec 11 06:32:04 AKST 2003

In Nashville (Davidson County), our 3 public fields are on public land
in parks.  The county issues Photo ID/permits ($20/year) and requires
them to fly at any of the fields.  To get the permit you have to show a
valid AMA for that year, or provide a copy of an insurance policy that
provides a minimum $300k personal liability umbrella.

The county performs basic maintenance of the fields, including mowing,
parking lot maint, fencing, some runway maint.  Each field has an AMA
chartered club, and they typically make improvements and maintenance
beyond what the county provides-- pit areas, better mowing, runway
striping, storage buildings, etc.

As far as authority over the rules process and operation of the field, I
believe it to be much more of a grey area..  The local clubs have all
adopted the AMA code, freq. control, and added their own rules regarding
flight line safety, hovering, etc. etc.  For the most part I think
pilots accept the club rules, although the question of enforceability
has come up from time to time... For example, suppose the local club
imposes a landing fee as a fundraiser for a day.. Most will gladly pay
the fee, but some also push back arguing that the field is a public
facility.  Same thing has come up when fields are closed for contests.

There are also authority issues regarding safety.  As a public field,
the club can't mandate club membership and intervene in safety matters
with non-members.  I'm sure that the county could get involved if
someone asked them to, but such visibility could ultimately spoil it for
everybody.

I like the concept of a public field most of the tiem, where I can go
fly where I want when I want (usually).  But it does have it's
drawbacks.  I think the clubs we have in Nashville do a great job of the
situation.

Chuck