Public Fields

spbyrum spbyrum at hiwaay.net
Thu Dec 11 06:14:14 AKST 2003

We lease a closed landfill from the city.  Our deal from the beginning
was that we would pay them $200 annually.  We would abide by all Federal
rules governing the landfill.  We would not ask for money for
improvements.  We'd put up a gate with a lock to secure our area.

We make all the rules in accordance with AMA.  We charge dues and hold
events to fund improvements.  Only club members and their guests can
fly.  AMA insurance, specifically, is required in our lease.

This has worked well for ten years.  It gives the city a no-hassles
recreational use of a closed landfill.  Recreational use of closed
landfills is required by EPA after a specific period of time or
substantial fines occur.  The city bushhogs twice each year to keep
trees from growing over the trash.  We do all the maintenance.