Public Fields

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Thu Dec 11 06:12:09 AKST 2003

I belong to both a Public and Private club..

Public:  City defers control of the field to the club.  We're required to have "open" access...meaning that we can NOT require people to be club members...HOWEVER...we are able to require AMA licenses.  We issue a "Field" permit to those that are not club members and charge a whopping $5/year to get one (Club membership is $50).   This allows the club to enforce AMA safety rules and therefore carry AMA insurance on the field.

The club maintains the vast majority of the field though the city does mow the perimiter areas 2-3 times a year.

Private:  We rent 5 acres from a local farmer.  Club membership is required, and the club is capped at 85 members...we have approx a 6 year waiting list.

The two fields are pretty comparable in quality...but the "public" field club is a 200+ member club.  Both seem to operate pretty smoothly relatively speaking; however it's actually MUCH easier to get volunteer workers...field maintenance, mowing, etc...from the smaller private club, than it is from the larger public one.

The dedication required to "wait" for admission tends to eliminate the fly-by-night (Not to be confused with Fly AT night) hobbyists.

-Mark