Nomex Sources

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Tue Dec 9 05:17:45 AKST 2003

Mr D........

How much do you need and what weight.....Also I must correct you on your
terminolgy. Now I know that you are only repeating what you have heard
others say...but they too are incorrect so here goes..

Nomex is an "aramid" fiber akin to kevelar.
Honeycomb is that stuff that everyone calls "nomex".
Honeycomb can be made from a variety of things including fiberglass,
nomex, and aluminum.

When you ask for fiberglass nomex is is like saying "gimme some Odouls
Beer" or his rank is "Corporal-Captain".

In short what you are asking for is "nomex honeycomb", that is honeycomb
fabricated with nomex fibrous paper as opposed to fiberglass honeycomb.

So you need a weight, and then call Texas Almet at 817-649-7065. They have
sheets of standard weigths and thickness in stock, and let then know it os
for a toy airplnae and they will sell you scraps. They are in Arlington.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

"Emory Schroeter" <emorydmd at earthlink.net>