Infra Red Thermometer

Terry Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Mon Dec 8 16:39:47 AKST 2003

I have been using a sensor that I picked up at an auto parts store 2
years ago, but it cost over $100.
Great little tool to have. I have found some very interesting readings on
surface temps of aircraft sitting in the sun at a contest.
As an average, you can expect temps for dark colors to be 30 degrees
higher than ambient!! A 90 degree day with bright sunshine can add 50
degrees, for readings near 140 degrees. If the plane is covered with one
of the new shields, the temps under the white cover is just 5 to 10
degrees over ambient.
I have done a little engine temp reading, but not enough to come to any
conclusions. Go for it, and good luck. Let us know what you learn.

Terry T.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org