Website for ZN Hydeaway

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Mon Dec 8 07:00:53 AKST 2003

Rex,

Spin entry was just fine with the 12 degs also snaps were fine...

The key on the spin entry is Nose high...The rules say near horizontal line
so it can climb or descend a little bit as long as it scribes a near
horizontal line. Nose high is the key....Sometimes it might take a click or
so of throttle...Then when you take throttle away the model will break. I
don't really do that throttle thing too much. I just start dragging it in
and give throttle as needed...but near the point of the break I'm not really
using much throttle trim or extra other than my normal low idle 2000rpm on a
DZ.... The guys that float on by are not getting the nose high enough. If
its high like 30 degs it WILL stall and break. I manage my speed to get a
little nose up and drop with the normal elevator....I'll slip it a little
bit up there to kill extra energy...and just like landing in front of
yourself its an energy management thing. Basically I save just a little tiny
bit of speed. Then when it Pull up a little more the nose pitches the model
stalls and never really flies up....it just pitches up smoothly and stalls.

The rules say nothing about the plane staying level attitude...in fact it
says nose high....How high is high enough? Well depends on the model. Many
folks use a high rate elevator like 20+degs to get this nose high
stall....Since they have a huge amount of elevator at the time needed for
the break it allows the model to pitch up harder at the end. This works
well. But you sacrifice resolution on your elevator. I tried it both ways
and lately have been just doing everything on a single low rate.

The windy conditions are where its tough....just wait for it....The extra
air speed of the windy condition will help you get the nose up....Just hold
it up there eventually if you wait and get the nose high enough it will
fall. Be careful not to flip on its back....nothing in the rules says you
need to be at full elevator stick...just that the model stalls....So what I
do in the wind is hold enough elev to get the nose up...and then as the
model starts to stall and fall I slowly pull the rest of the elevator
in....If the model is nearly stalled this will instantly cause it to break.

Its all technique. and practice.

Down thrust on the hydeaway in the molded fuse is fine. I originally set the
thrust right with the molded nose....Then I added a little bit of right so
that on a long upline it would track straight and not to the left. It was
about the slop in the bolts on the mount maybe just  a touch more.

TN

>From: "Rex Lesher" <trex at pacwest.net>
>To: <discussion at nsrca.org>
>Subject: Re: Website for ZN Hydeaway
>Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 23:07:40 -0800
>
>Troy
>
>I'm with you on the cg.  I like to be able to feel the need for down
>elevator while inverted.  Especially in the wind.  I've tried  moving the
>cg back, and find that in windy situations, you chase the line more because
>of tracking problems.  Having to use down elevator isn't a problem, it's
>just getting used to having to use it.  I hadn't thought about using the
>technique of more down than up and adjusting with expo for the difference
>in feel.  I'll have to play with that a little.  As far as the 12 degrees
>of elevator throw goes, was that enough for spin entry?  I suppose you have
>to carry a little throttle to elevate the nose and then chop the thottle to
>get the break.  The old Prophecy I have weighs just a couple oz. over 9
>pounds.  I ended up having to use throttle manipulation to get a decent
>break into the spin, or it would just float in a flat position.  Especially
>if it was windy.  I realize that a forward cg would help in that area.
>I really apreciate the help on set up.  Dialing it in will be much quicker
>than the old trial and error.    I'll set it up with a little more right
>thrust.  I'm going to stick a DZ in the nose and pull the bigger prop, so I
>was a little concerned about the thrust issue. How about down thrust?  Any
>opinion on that?
>
>Rex
>3117

Get holiday tips for festive fun.