YS won't richen

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 17:17:16 AKST 2003

First check all the obvious stuff, plumbed correctly, tank holding pressure, check valve installed and working. Since it ran for three flights, they are probably ok, but something might have failed.

Then I would suspect crud plugging up the regulator and/or carburetor. I had a similar problem with a 140FZ that would not throttle up no matter how far out the needle valve was. There was crud in the metering slot on the throttle barrel. You could not see with a casual inpection, but I took a playing card and ran it through the slot and pulled out a wad of gooey fuzz.

Paul Lawrence <pwl45 at yahoo.com> wrote:
There was a guy at the field today with a brand new YS 1.20. The engine ran
great for 3 flights at the recommended 2 turns out on the needle. On the
forth flight, the engine backfired, threw the spinner and died. Now the
engine will not richen even at 5 turns out. It keeps backfiring and quitting
at full throttle. Does this sound like an air leak somewhere? I know I have
heard of a simialr problem described here and was wondering what we should
be checking.

# discussion-request at nsrca.org

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com