Idle/Braking (was Re: Winter / Focus / Fuel/Electric.)

davel322 at comcast.net davel322 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 12:26:19 AKST 2003

John,

Thanks.

Yes, the slower the idle, the better the braking (at least within the range of 1,000 to 2,000 RPM).

I certainly agree with you that a Focus is more power hungry than a Prophecy (I've flown both quite a bit).

"cleanly shaped" - my words and a bit ambiguous - some clarity warranted.  "Cleanly shaped" has more to do with the shape of the nose than the total fuse volume.  "Traditional" 2M planes like the Prophecy, Elan, Omen, older Typhoons, Finesse, etc had relatively smaller fuses and streamlined noses.  In that same era, a Hanson Excess had a huge fuse - but was still easy to power (with careful building to keep the weight down) because the nose was nicely "cleaned up" - streamlined.

The earlier "widebodies" had much more fuse area and retained the streamlined nose - examples being EMC (very big at the time), Fashion, Hydeout, newer Patriots, etc.  More recent widebodies have less streamlined noses - Smaragd and Focus (not really a widebody to me, but less streamlined nose) for example and need substantially more power to fly nicely.

A Partner has more side area than a Smaragd - but it is easy to power - the nose is more streamlined than a Smaragd.  A Hydeaway has more side area than a Hydeout - but it barely takes any more power - the nose is still streamlined.

Adding fuse volume will increase drag, period.  However, if the fuse retains a nice airfoil shape (cleanly shaped), the increase in drag is relatively small.  Increasing fuse volume with a broader/blunter/wider nose (aka Smaragd) will rapidly increase fuse drag (and the need for more power).  Increased drag can be a good thing for some airplanes, some pilots, some schedules, etc.

Better / more clear?  Better yet would be a re-post by anyone who kept the prior info on drag contributions by various parts of airframe.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net

# discussion-request at nsrca.org