CTE

Jeff Hughes jhughes at hsonline.net
Tue Dec 2 04:27:38 AKST 2003

Nice work! The other factor in the feel of the plane is air temp
(density). A 50 degree swing in temperature can make quite a
difference in how a plane feels flying. I know in the early spring
when i'm flying the plane feels much more locked in than mid summer
when it is 90 degrees. Also, throttle changes slightly, (more power at
the same setting when it is cold), so if you fly to a throttle
setting, at higher temperatures, the plane will fly slower and need
more trim.

> OK, I'll take a shot at it.
>
> Using the coefficient of thermal expansion that Gray suggested for
> fiberglass of 6.5E-6 in/in F with a 50 degree F temperature swing
and
> a 40" equivalent fuselage length (really pushrod length since we're
> assuming the pushrod is carbon fiber with a coefficient of thermal
> expansion of zero) I get the same differential expansion of 0.013"
> that Jeff did.  Using a large MK horn (~1-1/4" height) and a 1/2"
> thick elevator leading edge yields a hinge point to pushrod
> attachment point distance of 1.5".  Taking the arcsin(0.013/1.5) =
> 0.49 degree elevator deflection!
>
> Guys, half of a degree trim change on an elevator is a lot!
>
> I can't state it in terms of how many clicks of trim that is (that
> would depend on how your [digital] trim sensitivity is set), but I
> can tell you that most of my planes are set up with +/- 10 to 12
> degrees of elevator throw.  When using my laser system to set up the
> surface deflections using the radios endpoint adjustment the best
> resolution I see at the surface is ~0.075 to 0.1 degree.  The laser
> system is accurate to somewhat better than 0.05 degree (1/20th of a
> degree), but the scale can only be easily interpolated to that.
That

--
CoreComm Webmail.
http://home.core.com