CTE

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Mon Dec 1 21:06:53 AKST 2003

OK, I'll take a shot at it.

Using the coefficient of thermal expansion that Gray suggested for
fiberglass of 6.5E-6 in/in F with a 50 degree F temperature swing and
a 40" equivalent fuselage length (really pushrod length since we're
assuming the pushrod is carbon fiber with a coefficient of thermal
expansion of zero) I get the same differential expansion of 0.013"
that Jeff did.  Using a large MK horn (~1-1/4" height) and a 1/2"
thick elevator leading edge yields a hinge point to pushrod
attachment point distance of 1.5".  Taking the arcsin(0.013/1.5) =
0.49 degree elevator deflection!

Guys, half of a degree trim change on an elevator is a lot!

I can't state it in terms of how many clicks of trim that is (that
would depend on how your [digital] trim sensitivity is set), but I
can tell you that most of my planes are set up with +/- 10 to 12
degrees of elevator throw.  When using my laser system to set up the
surface deflections using the radios endpoint adjustment the best
resolution I see at the surface is ~0.075 to 0.1 degree.  The laser
system is accurate to somewhat better than 0.05 degree (1/20th of a
degree), but the scale can only be easily interpolated to that.  That
equates to ~ 5 to 7 bits of command resolution to trim out (assuming
that you can set your radio's digital trims to output one bit per
trim input).

Disclaimer:  YMMV

Let's digress a bit.

[Note to Robert Gainey:  The "Geek Alert" is now in effect!]

Why is the servos resolution worse than the command resolution?  If
you set your ATV to 150% and your servo moves +/- 45 degrees your
servo has a max resolution of 90 degrees/1024 bits = 0.088
degrees/bit.  So we're really servo limited.

Lets look at this another way.  If you have a 10 bit resolution
system (1024 steps) and you are using 2/3rd's of your resolution (on
a JR that'd be equivalent to leaving your trace rate set at 100%) to
drive your surfaces +/- 15 degrees the minimum theoretical surface
deflection you could command is 0.044 degrees/bit.  But as shown
above your servos are only good to ~ 0.09 degrees at the servo output
wheel, or about half of the command resolution.  Again, we're limited
by the servo resolution.

Jim Oddino, you out there?  Wanna check my numbers?

Jerry

--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com