Quest questions...

Dave Dolzine Dave.Dolzine at dalsemi.com
Mon Dec 1 12:27:08 AKST 2003

Earl, I am having very similar results on my Quest.  I have a YS 1.20 on
mine (got the engine cheap second hand -runs great).  First flight had to
hold way too much down for inverted flight so started moving batteries back,
then eventually added 2 oz. lead to the tail (I was expecting this with the
extra weight of the 1.20).  Now the inverted flight is almost hands off
(very little if any pressure to hold line).  I want to add a bit more, but I
think I am getting close to the edge, as landings are becoming a bit sporty.
The thing that is not getting any better is the tracking on the 45 lines -
ie. pull to 45 roll inverted the nose wants to drop - does not maintain
track - same on down line 45 degree.   Does the CG play the same roll on
"tracking" for 45 as it would for inverted.

I am going to have to check the thrust line thing - in mounting the 1.20 I
replace the firewall with 1/4 ply and used the Dave Brown isolation mounts.
Since the cowl fits relatively tight  and square - I just centered the
thrust line to the cowl with the ~2 degree right thrust.  Would the thrust
line high/low or up/down thrust angle cause the tracking issue?  (I have
zero trim for straight and level flight).

I have to say this is a really a great little pattern plane, especially one
to get people started.  Or as in my case, a quick pattern plane to keep you
flying while you build a real 2 meter.  It point rolls and slow rolls
better/easier than my Focus did (may it rest in peace).

- DD