CTE

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Dec 1 07:10:15 AKST 2003

Nat

I was gone last week....The CTE for balsa will change with the density of
the balsa it self, but as you have noted, humidity plays a larger part
here in expansion and contraction. This is not a factor with the composite
pushrods.

I am not as inclined as Jason was to read all those emails while I was
gone, but in short CTE is not so much a problem as is the mis matched CTE,
in this case the carbon fiber pushrod vs. the fiberglass fuselage. I have
not run the calculations but anyone interested assume the CF rod to have a
CTE of zero, then the fuselage to have a CTE of 6.5 X 10-6 in/in F.  I
would imagine that if you set your trim at 100F then flew in December at
50F you may have one or two clicks of trim to compensate.  The original
post asked about storage down to zero F. In reality the servo arm or
elevator would just move with the cold contraction.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

"Nat Penton" <natpenton at centurytel.net>