Weight & horsepower

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Sat Aug 30 09:27:15 AKDT 2003

I'll take a stab at this, based on my experience with *NEVER* owning a "light" pattern airplane.  ALL of my 2M attempts have been at <cough, cough> 11 lbs...I had one ONCE under 11 lbs, until the first landing gear rip-out...
    I have always flown in windy areas, and believe the extra weight DOES offer some stability advantages.  My hope is that newer, more powerful powerplants will permit my heavier build-outs to perform better.
    Lighter airplanes do damp better in snaps, spins, and recoveries.  Matched with lots of power, good 9.5 lb, 2M airframes are possible these days (or so I've heard), meaning that they will be outstanding performers.
    I have known folks with lighter pattern airplanes who have added ballast within weight limits when flying in extremely windy, or turbulent wind conditions.  My own experience also would indicate there are advantages there, but trade-offs also.

Bob Pastorello, Oklahoma
NSRCA 199, AMA 46373
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net