Mintor 1.70 bearings

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Mon Aug 18 10:06:45 AKDT 2003

 I changed my first Mintor bearing today. It was all rusted up. Looks like the double bearing is not rust immune!

One reassembly-re-building tip is to carefully tighten the four bolts that hold on the barrel, with the piston and rod and shaft in place. If you over tighten any one of the bolts you can make the piston fit too tight at the bottom of the barrel. I now snug each one and then rotate the shaft and feel for any change in smoothness or increased resistance. Each bolt is tightened an 1/8 of a turn at at time and then tested again.

Actually changing the bearing took about 30 seconds of heat gun nozzle and gentle tap on a wooden block. It s a very easy engine to work on because the barrel is removable.

I did compare the head with the OS 1.60 - not even close.

Regards,

Eric.