YS FZ & L Throttle barrels

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 09:28:20 AKDT 2003

On your recomendation at the NATS, I did clean up the face on the rear cover. It is now very smooth. The valve cover gasket is new and the mating surface cleaned up. The carb bodies on both my FZ's have the large throat opening.

I was wondering if the metering slot ws different on the "L".  There is little else that would affect the amount fuel, unless the crank pressure changed

Your offer is generous. I plan on running the motor with the new DZ piston tonight to see if it changes anything. If it still is rich then I will take you up on your offer.  Thanks.

"Henderson,Eric" <Eric.Henderson at gartner.com> wrote:
Bob,
         One reason that the part number is different is that the L barrel had to clear the casing where a rear mount would be fitted. The FZ did not have that protrusion.

FZ's came with a smaller throat and then production transitioned, without anyone telling us, to an L size throat. Then the L's came along with the same big throat and the increase rear-mount casting on the carb body.

Where there may be a difference is in the metering slit on the barrel but I can't see it with the naked eye.

Bob, I can send you working carb barrel and body from one of my engines to see if that is the problem. Also the gasket on the rocker cover can leak and cause odd running in the mid range. Last but not least the rear rotor.

Regards,

Eric.

P.S.

They like 30% with two head gaskets..E.

P.P.S. The 140 Sport reverts back to using the pressure tap at the front of the engine instead of the rear plate. Like the .63, .91 and 120 FZ's. The hollow crank and pressure timing hole to the diaphragm are back again.