Fuel rating

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 08:36:33 AKDT 2003

Earl
I recently had the same problem.
I poured one ounce of fuel in a graduated one ounce mixing cup and heated it
with my monocote blower, that didn.t work to well so i let it sit in the heat
for about a week and sure enough what was left was 20% I had a lab run a
gravity on three samples one of the suspected fuel one of fuel that was supposed to
be 35% Nitro and then added enough nitro to the first sample to bring it up
to what I calculated would be 30% Nitro. Then we ran a gravity on pure
Methanol, pure Nitro. and the Oil that I had evaporated the Nitro and Methanol out of,
The Methanol came out . 84 ccm  Oil was 1.011ccm and Nitro was 1.131ccm.
API Gravity of the first fuel which worked out to be 15% Nitro was 19.4 the
second sample which was supposed to be 35% but calculated out to be 27% was
18.1 and the third sample after Nitro was added and calculated to be 37.5% was
16.8.
I don't know if our results is totally accurate but we came up with the
following weight's per gallon.
Plastic Jug wt. 5oz
15% Nitro 20% Oil-----=7lb 14.2oz including the jug
20% Nitro 20% Oil-----=8lb 0.2 oz        ditto
30% Nitro 20% Oil-----= 8lb 4.2 oz       ditto
>From these results all things being equal it looks like each 5% of Nitro
added will increase the weight of a gal. of fuel 2oz assuming each jug contains an
equal number of ounces (128per gal).
I hope this helps.
Buddy