Team GOLD !

Tony Stillman tony at radiosouthrc.com
Mon Aug 18 08:20:05 AKDT 2003

Bob:

Actually, it was Chip 3rd, Jason 7th, and Sean 11th.  USA was 1st, France 2nd, and Japan 3rd.

I have lots to review with the e-mails about Jason's electric, so I won't comment much now, except to say that I think everyone over-reacted to Jason's electric.  I was concerned myself, but I know that our guys are not going to go to a WC and flail around!  I would think that we would be smart enough to know that.  Now, because I had not seen it, I was SKEPTICAL.  That is normal, but wanting to push some kind of rule is CRAZY!!  If so, I guess any NEW item could not be used at a  WC.  Well, that would remove most of the rest of the world, so maybe we COULD win again.

Guys, we are so used to be FOLLOWING the rest of the world in the technical arena, that when we actually LEAD it is a surprise.  It was very interesting to see all the press that Jason AND Chip got for flying something different.  There were 2 other bipes, so that impact was limited, but it was there.

Flying a new electric is radical, but was obviously a good thing.  The only real problem was the wind.  It averaged 25-30 MPH EVERY DAY!  Most of us would not have even taken our models out of the car!  Jason flew well, but would be the first to tell you it would have been nice to have a glow model and an electric, ONLY BECAUSE IT WAS SO WINDY!  Actually, Chip was wishing he had smaller wings for his biplane as well.  Sean was able to handle the wind without problems, he just had a bad first flight on Semi-Finals day that turned out to be his downfall and the cause of his 11th place finish.  He flew well enough to be 7th or 8th, and many Team Managers told both of us that on the Finals day.

Be proud of these guys!  They were willing to try some new stuff and see what happened.  It worked out well.  After seeing the electric for the first time, I didn't have a problem with it at all.  I think Jason made a very smart choice, and I hope that the guys that complained about him will reconsider their opinion.  I know they will, once they see it fly!

Just back from the F3A World Champs.  Sorry I could not answer this e-mail until now.  The USA won the Team Gold!

Tony Stillman
Radio South
3702 N. Pace Blvd.
Pensacola, FL 32505