servo wires

David Harmon K6XYZ at comcast.net
Thu Aug 14 21:47:13 AKDT 2003

A slick way to twist the servo extensions quickly in a neat manner is to
make a 'J' hook from music wire and then chuck it up in your variable
speed drill.

Put the hook around all 3 wires on one end and hold the other end in a
vise or clamp and slowly run the drill while keeping tension on the
wires. Don't pull too hard as the tangs holding the pins in the plastic
shell can break.
Slightly over wind the wires because there will be some tendency to
unwind until the wires and plastic insulation take a set. As the wires
wind up, the length will become shorter so allow the drill to ease
toward the other end.
You can speed this up a little by using a hair drier to heat the
insulation while you are winding. Don't get the wires too hot as you
don't want to melt the insulation.
You can hold the twist on there a while too while the wires take a set.

Regards

Dave Harmon
NSRCA 586
K6XYZ at comcast.net