servo wires

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Thu Aug 14 10:51:27 AKDT 2003

Get good high quality servo extensions (22 gage) and twist them
independently (in other words not twisted together).

A good way to twist them is to anchor one end on your work bench and twist
the other end until you have a fairly tight twist, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 turns
per inch. After twisting anchor the other end so the lead is stretched out
across you work bench. Get your heat gun and heat the entire length of the
lead to help "set" the twist. After done heating I'll leave mine anchored on
my bench for quite a while (usually hours but that's probably not
necessary).

When you remove it from the bench it will keep the twist.

I have servos in my stab and needed five foot extensions plus another 6"
lead to plug into my receiver (receiver is mounted way forward). I twisted
only the 5' extension. I run the two twisted leads next to each other to the
tail and I've had no problems at all. I also run the antenna down the fuse
but made sure it was on the top of the fuse and the servo leads are secured
to the bottom of the fuse. I wanted as much distance between the long leads
and the antenna as possible since long leads have been know to interfere
with the RX. The twisting is supposed to take care of the interference but I
think it's still wise to separate them.

Keith Black