Webra 1.60XP -Mixture

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Thu Aug 14 06:37:04 AKDT 2003

I had to switch to a 12 oz tank to make weight at the Nats (I also
took my switch out - did you know a JR switch harness/charge jack
weighs a little over an ounce?) and I was concerned about running out
of fuel in the Masters pattern.  So I went out to the practice field,
set the timer, and flew a regular masters flight in some pretty
strong wind.  When I landed I had 40% of a tank left (I turned the
E=MC3 on it's side and looked through the canopy) which is ~4.8 oz of
fuel (7.2 oz used).  I checked the timer and it read just a little
over 7 minutes so I'm using about an ounce of fuel per minute of
flight time.  I've checked it several times since then and always
seem to get the same answer so I'm confident it's right.  Pretty
miserly if you ask me!

I use the APC 17x12 standard prop as it gives the best combination of
vertical pull and downline braking.  I tried the new 18x10 (xpw?)
prop with the rounded tips last weekend and turned it just under 8100
rpm.  It flew pretty well, initial upline acceleration was a bit
quicker than the 17x12 but the downline braking was a little better.
Couldn't tell about the noise since someone was running a motor next
to us.

Re: the heavy E=MC3.  I did a courtesy weigh-in upon arrival and
found I was 18 grams over the weight limit.  I took 2.3 oz out of the
airplane and rechecked (twice) exactly at 5kg.  Go figure?!!

Jerry

--
Jerry Budd
mailto:jbudd at qnet.com