Worlds Finals formula

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Wed Aug 13 21:14:40 AKDT 2003

FYI - Unless it has changed since Ireland 2001, the form is that the Semis run F-03 and use the carry over from the prelims.

Our guys should all get through this time. I have seen them fly this routine and just flat out believe that they will all make the finals. They are all experienced. No rookies this time. Jason and Chip were in the finals last time and Sean flew demo flights for the finals

The Finals are basically a brand new contest. Nothing that has gone before, other than qualifying for the finals, counts!

The Finals have four rounds. there is NO prior score CARRY OVER - I cap'd that statement because all prior conjecture becomes mute with this formula. The 10 or so pilots get to fly Unknown-1, F-03, then a different unknown-2, and F-03 again (It may be the F's first).

They take the best F-03 score and the best Unknown score to pick the winner . Technically it is possible to have a tie if two pilots win one unknown and one F-03 round each. In that case the next highest round would be used to select the champion.

This is an amazingly difficult flying test. Whom so ever wins the above, truly is a world champion.

I await with baited breath... really!

Excited - Eric!