The value of noise

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 12 07:24:05 AKDT 2003

Phonak has a model they refer to as "programable". Actually, it amounts to having three user selectable settings via a tiny push button on each one. They also have volume controls that have a three db range. The technician sets up the the options and also the frequency response. My hearing peaks at 1 khz and drops off to almost nothing at 3 khz. It is my understanding that not of the devices address the area above 8 khz. The response I selected actually goes a little beyond the restoration of the higher frequencies and enhances them a bit. program 1 is the normal setting, program 3 is about 3 db higher. Program 2 utilizes the the feature of having a forward and backward facing microphone in each unit. It greatly reduces (technician programmable) the response to things behind you. It is useful for attenuating undesirable noise from behind. This feature requires the devices to be prominately exposed in the ear.

There are some situations that are just about hopless though. Noisy restaurants, parties with silverware and dishes rattling are over whelming. I just turn them off in those conditions and point to them when some one is unintelligable. The high visability of the hearing aids seems to help others be a bit more patient. People recognize that you have done your best with the problem, now they will do what they can to help.

I think most vendors have models that will hide from view if you have a problem with vanity. My personal feeling is that they are in the same class as expensive jewelry, for what you pay, you ought to wear them proudly. That is also what I tell my grand daughter about the braces on her teeth!

I have only had them since April. Some days I wear them all day, and some days not at all. It depends on how much contact I have with other people. There is a lengthy learning curve involved with them. It is best if I have them in for at least 30 minutes before Church Choir.

My family is very grateful. They were putting up with a loud TV and difficult communications. They cannot replace what I lost, but it is worth the expense and effort.