Electrics - Cost is not as bad as it appears

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Mon Aug 11 11:37:25 AKDT 2003

I'm all for the electrics, but lets not forget the cost due to rapid obsolesence.  Electrics are changing soooo fast that it's RARE to be able to amortize the cost of your investment over the expected life of the product.  In most cases, batteries are replaced with newer, lighter, longer lasting packs long before they've reached that 1000-3000 cycle lifespan, which greatly increases the cost per flight.

Granted...engines suffer some of the same fate...but the resale value on last year's engine (say a YS 140L or even FZ) is far higher, and far easier to sell then an old technology/used battery pack.

I have more than my share of batteries and charges that are collecting dust solely because they've been replaced with newer/better/lighter/stronger/faster...etc.

-Mark