Electric Pattern

mdarr00 at comcast.net mdarr00 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 10 14:08:57 AKDT 2003

    Bill, you are correct about a cars alternator putting out 100 amps.  Some put out less, maybe around 80 amps, and some put out as much as 130 amps.  The concern is that they do not put out that much current at idle.  At best they may put out 20 amps.  Before you get the max amperage output of an alternator, you would need to rev the engine to approx 2,000 rpms.  Obviously if you had the hood open the underhood lamp would also be on, your engine is running, so you have the ignition system, cooling fans, engine computer, and all of the sensors needed to make the engine run drawing current.  Having said that, now you add your battery charger, that may or may not put you over what your alternator may put out at idle and now you are running on just the car battery.  While this is happening the alternator is trying to keep the battery charged to the best of its ability which is not much at idle, causing the alternator to burn up.  Food for thought.

Mike Darr