F3A--Electric.

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sun Aug 10 13:55:50 AKDT 2003

With the exception of the output gear which turns at relatively low rpm, the
remaining parts of the gear box are turning much higher rpm. When it comes to
transmitted energy, (either sound, electrical or optical),  the higher
frequencies attenuate first.

I think Earl alluded to that fact; Troy's statements are ringing true
 also.
The large majority of the pressure fronts that create the noise
, is created by the prop.

But frankly, I don't understand why there is even an issue in regard to
electrics. The technology is here, now, and batteries will only get better. Some
very clever and innovative people have made this a fairly straight forward, plug
and play technology. My hat's off to the inventors of this stuff

Gary Wright has already been flying the electric 12 lb Funtana for almost two
years, as I reported in this forum last year, and Jason has simply tapped
into it early also,  and has given it some serious name recognition. Joe Gross
also. I would bet dollars to donuts that other World caliber pilots will quickly
follow Jason's and Gary's lead, engine manufacturer sponsorships
notwithstanding

I predict that within five years, 50% of  those in our midst will be flying
electric. As far as cost, I don't believe it will be that prohibitive since the
LiPol's can give a terrific service life. Consider what 1000 flights costs in
terms of fuel consumed and the cost of same, for most of us who don't get
their fuel for free.

There are other reasons that would make me want to make the switch, some of
which have already been mentioned. Servo life, and general radio and airframe
life are two keys, as is a cleaner plane aerodynamically. I'm not talking smoke
and oil goop here

Matt K