Change and effect... and a cause!

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Sun Aug 10 08:51:16 AKDT 2003

JOddino wrote:

> I agree with Erik that the judges don't care what engine you are
> using, but if your plane is struggling, you might as well pack it up.
> I don't agree that you need to be a pro and I believe the great pilot
> with a enough resources to demonstrate his potential can get
> sponsorship if he wants it.
> I believe this electric thing could be a great thing for pattern for
> many reasons.  But it still gets down to power.  If it is measurably
> better power wise and can meet the other requirements, people will buy
> it.

I agree almost entirely.  My sole disagreement is that there are a lot
of judges out there who don't understand what the rules actually say.
 For example, I believe that there are many judges who will score a
Stall Turn higher if there's a long vertical after the 1/4 loop, even
though all that's required by the rules is demonstration of a vertical
line.  This was really evident back when 4-stroke 1.20s were first
competing head-to-head with 2-stroke 60s.  There are quite a few other
maneuvers which will score higher if they are done "bigger and more
manly" when the rule book doesn't require it.

Ron Van Putte