Noise

EHaury at aol.com EHaury at aol.com
Sat Aug 9 05:47:43 AKDT 2003

What Troy has said about props being the major noise generator is accurate,
especially when measuring with the same (or similar) airplane. There are other
considerations though.

While the sound meter measures max sound pressure, the response is not
linear, but logarithmic. Meaning that sound pressures at different frequencies will
be "weighed" (logarithmic scale dBA in our case) to represent the human ear
response. Therefore, a sound pressure of some absolute value, lower than another
of equal pressure but different frequency, may drive a meter higher.

I've had the opportunity to observe the noise spectrum generated by our
systems using a digital spectrum analyzer. This is an expensive lab gizmo that
presents data on screen much like an oscilloscope, except that it presents
amplitude vs. frequency. You can observe the magnitude of noise as generated at
various frequencies.

I experimented by blocking the sound path between the noise generator (engine
system) and microphone with foam blocks. This allows one to observe the
portion of the sound spectrum generated by various components by comparing readings
with and without isolation.

As Troy stated, the prop is the major offender and is variable basis speed
and prop design. The exhaust, noise radiation from parts (pipe wall, engine, air
inlet, etc.) are all portions of the spectrum and their reduction is obvious
with the analyzer, but only on the meter if the major noise source is isolated
(prop). I suspect that it's a reduction of total spectrum that causes some
airplanes to be quieter in the air, although they measure the same (or higher)
on the ground.

The trick in all this is that a high frequency noise source (maybe the gear
box on an electric) that wouldn't seem significant, because of the weighing
scale, may be a major offender. In the case with Sean at the TT, his engine was a
tad lean and detonating. The meter picked up the high freq detonation and he
failed the test. Richening the engine very slightly (no noticeable rpm change)
dropped the noise measurement 2+ dB.

One last point, an airframe that resonates more than another will generally
both sound louder in the air and measure louder on the ground. Apparently the
resonating airframe amplifies (much like a speaker cone) the vibratory energy
generated by the power system. I've a glass Hydeout and one with a scratch
built wooden fuse that are both equipped the same. The glass version is
consistently 2+ dB louder than the "Woody."

Earl