Poland - Electric.

Harry W. Southwell II bnbsouthwell at avsia.com
Tue Aug 5 08:45:43 AKDT 2003

I have to chime in on this topic.  So "Here Goes"

  First,  I do believe these fine gentlemen representing us in Poland EARNED THE PLACE ON THE TEAM. They were not hired or indentured to "us". They are there because of desire and dedication to go for the gold. I believe we judged the pilots performance/ability of placing and controlling the track of the aircraft not what equipment he used. To do other wise would go against everything I thought this game is about.  I really think making a negative issue of the members personal choice of aircraft is in poor taste right at the time the they are "going to battle" I believe positive and best wishes would be far more appropriate right now.  If we get snips of info back from Poland I am sure they also get snips from home as well...........

Second, If it's a problem within the team I am sure they are capable of handling that issue on their own. They are entrusted with the job and we should let them do it. We all dislike a back seat driver or heckler.

Third,  I have seen MANY threads about how Pattern is the "Cutting Edge" of the R/C world. Akin to the space program and all its trickle down benefits. I do believe this is cutting edge equipment and will show to have many benefits. How does this type of thing become accepted? Someone sticks their neck out a little and leads the way.

Fourth, I have heard about noise issues for years and how IMAC is the 900 pound rude Gorilla losing fields and we pattern folks are the way and the life..............I believe someone even kicked the door in on those folks to get them quieted down
via the AMA. Well here comes a way to be nearly silent and have increased reliability and performance. Ohh did I mention how all those loud, slime belching, polluting pattern planes spoiled my last electric flight? Hmmmmmmm........

Fifth, Lets see the term radical. Its a 2M pattern ship that others are flying and competing with...nothing new there. The power system spins the prop the same direction with probably better reliability than an IC power plant and power to spare.

As far as furthering a business concern I do believe we are a capitalist society and if one has an opportunity to gain "legally" then more power to them. I am sure all the team members and many who have commented on this subject are or have been professionally associated with the sport either through Direct merchandising, columnist for a magazine, ETC.

Well guess I have blown enough steam............:>)

Best wishes and success to Team USA!

Regards
Bill Southwell