servo question

JOddino JOddino at socal.rr.com
Sun Aug 3 12:11:24 AKDT 2003

Hi Troy,
The reason I asked this question is that I heard a guy claiming his neutrals
were more positive if the servo horn was perpendicular to the pushrod at
neutral.  I see you recognize the system becomes stiffer the closer you get
to the servo arm being parallel to the pushrod.  That is why we used 180
degree servos on landing gear.  So the servo arm perpendicular to the
pushrod doesn't improve holding power at neutral.

In the old days before computer radios we used to offset the servo neutrals
on purpose to get more up than down ailerons for example.  Now we can set it
anywhere we want so the angle isn't critical from that point.

As far as expo (non-linearities) caused by linkages, it is insignificant
(with reasonable linkages) compared to the expo we add.  Forget about linear
distances, look at angles.  The change in lift is a function of the angle of
attack, an angle.  The angle of attack is a function of the surface
deflection, an angle.  The surface deflection is a function of the servo
rotation, an angle.  Therefore the airplane responds to the servo angle not
the linear change of pushrod distance.  It takes a special linkage to get a
linear relationship between servo angle and control surface angle but even a
setup that looks bad really isn't too bad after we adjust end points and add
expo.  It seems to me it is more important to make sure the angles and push
rod lengths are the same (speaking of two elevator servos or two servos
coupled to one surface)  rather than worrying about a non-linearity that is
difficult to measure.  It seems to me it is much easier to set the servos
arms  90 degrees to the case than to try to figure out the angle that will
make them 90 degrees to the pushrod.  In fact I'm not sure how you'd do it
other than by cutting and trying.  I normally strive for both, perpendicular
to the case and the pushrod. However, I'm building a new plane with the
servos on their sides in the wing and stab where I can't have both so I'll
have to look at this a little closer.  I'm still betting it is
insignificant.
Jim