Jekyll CG

David Gundling DGundling at compuserve.com
Sat Aug 2 07:18:09 AKDT 2003

Message text written by INTERNET:discussion at nsrca.org
>If the chord at the center of the wing is about 17 inches, the CG will be
pretty close at 7-1/2 inches from the leading edge AT the center of the
wing. That is also assuming a tip chord of about 8-1/2 inches ignoring the
tips. If the front of the one piece wing does not come to a point from the
leading edges, measure it as if it did come to a point. If it will finish
out to less than nine pounds you might consider a YS 91 or its successor.

John Ferrell
6241 Phillippi Rd
Julian NC 27283
Phone: (336)685-9606
johnferrell at earthlink.net
Dixie Competition Products
NSRCA 479 AMA 4190  W8CCW
"My Competition is Not My Enemy"<

John,

Thanks for the reply.

The center wing chord measures to be more like 14 inches than 17 inches. I
asked hoping that
someone might know. I recognize that there has been several versions of the
Jekyll which made answering the question a bit tough. I can always compute
the MAC and set the CG at 25% to 30% for starters and go from there.

 I bought the plane to use a YS120FS that I have had lying around since the

Legacy Lite it was in was mid aired in a pattern contest about 5 years ago.
The 120FS and the 91AC
are pretty close in power. From weighing the ship as it sits, it looks like
it will come out at about 8.5 lbs.
Heavy, but OK for the intended purpose. Using a 91 would drop it to roughly
8.25 lbs which I think is a bit high
for good vertical with a 91.

Dave
# discussion-request at nsrca.org