Cutting Ailerons - Preferences

David Harmon K6XYZ at comcast.net
Fri Aug 1 20:15:17 AKDT 2003

I make a template sized to NOT include the aileron facing and mark both
sides with a red pen. (can't see red under $Koat)
This way, each aileron is the same size even if it's wrong! Don't
laugh....it's happened....hehe

Next, I cut freehand down the aileron HINGE line with a free hacksaw
blade.
Double side tape the aileron to the now cut out aileron portion of the
shuck.
Sometimes I make a fence and pass it through a bandsaw, however, I have
done it freehand and there is no problem with the steering if the
bandsaw blade is at least 1/4" wide.
Make sure the blade guide is as low as possible for best steering
stability.

Next, I keep it on the shuck and then on a flat plate I knock off the
fuzz with a square tool I made that has 220 3M Gold sticky back
sandpaper from the auto paint store. This ensures that the leading edge
of the aileron is square to the airfoil before facing.

Then I immediately glue the previously prepared facing on the aileron.
This helps a lot with any bowing problems if done right away. Usually,
during the gluing process, I use a straight edge down the aileron
surface right against the facing. I put the facing on the flat plate and
hold the aileron t/e up while gluing. Never do this while holding in
your hand. Always work against a flat surface.

Then I face the wing that this aileron came from.
I tack glue the aileron back into the now faced wing and sand as a unit.

I only do one panel at a time to avoid any movement of the wood and foam
over time.

I try to do both panels on the same day so temperature and humidity has
an equal effect on both panels.

I leave the ailerons glued to the wing until ready to hinge.
Then, cut free one aileron at a time, bevel and hinge.
I don't ever let a cut out aileron lay around loose.

Elevators are done the same way.

Regards

Dave Harmon
NSRCA 586