Fuel tank

Brian Young b4598070 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 06:37:51 AKDT 2003

Hm, my clunks have always done what you describe. That
is they never fall to the front of the tank when nose
down. After all, throttle is off in down lines. In
fact I usually solder on a short piece of brass to my
clunks to prevent the clunk from coming forward in the
tank.

If this is a problem maybe you could create a small
reservoir in the line between the tank and the engine,
this would contain enough fuel to keep the engine
running while nose down. Maybe even installing large
fuel tubing between tank and engine would be enough,
or an extra filter.....

I have know of experiences when the thin wall line
that comes with the tanks became stretchy w/ age. So
in verticle climbs the clunk line was stretching and
tending to seal to the back of the tank, that was the
theory anyway. The clunk line was replaced w/ new and
problem went away.

What about your mixture setting, idle setting, try
bumping idle up a bit maybe.

--- Jerry Wilson <jerrywil at swbell.net> wrote:
> I have just found a problem that I'm sure many
> people on the list have
> solved before.  Often while doing a stall turn, my
> engine would stop and a
> dead stick landing would follow.  After discussing
> this with a friend at the
> field it was suggested that it could be a fuel tank
> problem.  So I took the
> tank out tonight to have a look.  With fuel inside I
> could see that when the
> tank was inverted as in a stall turn manouver as you
> go over the top,  the
> clunk would often rest against the side of the tank.
>  So when the nose is
> pointed down, the clunk could hang at the aft end of
> the tank but the fuel
> is at the nose.
>
> I've changed the length of the tubing (shorter and
> longer) and even added a
> wheel collar to the line at the clunk, but so far I
> can't tell much
> difference.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated,
>
> thanks,