PPG questions

Hotrod34a at aol.com Hotrod34a at aol.com
Tue Apr 29 02:47:14 AKDT 2003

Hello:
  I use PPG paint exclusively on my planes.  I shoot several light coats of primer back to back waiting about 10 minutes between coats, and just enough to get good coverage.  I let it set overnight, sand it the next day, and then shoot my base color in the areas that it will be located in the scheme and feathering it out where the other colors will be adjacent to it.  I spray several mist type coats to get even coverage, and then a wet coat as the final, again waiting about 10 minutes between coats.  I let this set overnight, sand it all the next day, then mask and paint the second color the same way as above.  Next day I remove the masking tape and sand the edges and the paint until smooth, using 2000 grit wet sand paper for the primer and paint.  Mask again for the next color, and repeat the above sequence until all colors are shot.  I might also add that I start with the lightest color and work my way to the darkest color if at all possible with the color scheme.  When I am finished, I sand out all of the imperfections over the complete fuse, and then polish out with a finishing glaze compound like 3M glaze polishing compound.  Then I apply a good coat of automotive wax, type doesn't matter that much.  You will find that the paint will acquire some very fine, small swirls and scratches for the first few weeks if you are flying the plane by then and cleaning it.  After about 3 to 4 weeks, the paint is now hard as a rock.  Polish it out again with the polishing compound, and then wax.  You will not get any more scratches unless you actually hit it with somethig sharp.  Hope this helps, as I am sure that there are a lot of other folks doing it a different way, but this works very well for me, Larry M.