Need Help on YS 61R Long Stroke!!!

jed241 at msn.com jed241 at msn.com
Sun Apr 27 18:17:44 AKDT 2003

I'm having problems with the engine leaning out on transition to full throttle. The engine is in a 60 size pattern plane. The set up is unchanged from when I bought it. However, both engines have been sitting in a sealed bag after a good oiling with prather after run oil.

The pressure in the tank is fine and builds up to 6psi, measured on a pressure gauge. I'm confident that there is no air leak as it holds the pressure in the tank. Idle seemed to be very steady with no sign of dying at 2,700rpm. Would also like to know where the reliable idle RPM is..

I allowed the engine to run for about 15 to 20 seconds at about 4,000rpm and as I slowly increased to half throttle or about 7,500rpm, it would immediately die. I took the head temp and it was about 250F. I changed the engine out with a back up and it did the same exact thing. Again, same results on both engines. I also change the glow plug and as expected it didn't change anything.  I haven't checked the fuel filter, but I will shortly. The regulator is adjusted to flush with the case.

The original engine had about 25 flight on it ,and the back up is a brand new rebuild with new piston, sleeve, bearings, etc.)

Setting aside the fuel filter, is there anything else that I'm missing?

Wildcat 15% Nitro w/ 18% Oil (80% Synthetic/ 20% Castor)
12x11N APC Prop
Hatori Pipe
OS #8 Plug

Thanks,