YS 140DZ fault?

chadnortheast at shaw.ca chadnortheast at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 22 08:33:36 AKDT 2003

I had an issue with my pump last year.  The problem started after about 5 gallons of fuel through the engine.

What happened was the pushrod coming out of the top of the pump started to oval the pump housing (aluminum).  This allowed fuel to leak past the pushrod and get into the valve cover causing an incurable rich condition.  The motor would not throttle up, would quit during snaps, was impossible to start etc etc.

A new pump solved the problem, and I have not had an issue since replacing it (some 300 flights later).

Apparently they fixed this by increasing the contact area between the pushrod and pump housing.

Its easy to see if you have this problem, remove the valve cover and remove the tappet so you can clearly see the pushrod and housing.  If the pushrod has any play in that housing you should get a new one.