Epoxy etching

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Mon Apr 21 07:10:46 AKDT 2003

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  Here's what I did.  The longevity of
this repair is TBD, but all your suggestions gave me confidence that it
was as good as anything:
1. Thoroughly agitated it in 99% alchohol and brushed with old toothbrush
2. Sprayed with brake cleaner (this is really effective at powering out
all the little grime)
3. Heated with heat gun.  No additional oil came out, but paint blistered.
4. Brake cleaner again immediately (just in case heat gun liquified
anything) - glad it wasn't flammable.
5. Dried for 1 hour
6. Repaired with west epoxy with no thinning.  THis epoxy was thin enough
and I figured that captured thinner can not evaporate and would weaken the
bond.
7. Gently heated to make sure epoxy penetrated well.
8. Reinforced seam with a new layer of 3.2 oz carbon fiber

Sanded and repainted blistering.

--Lance