Flying Slow

Ed Deaver divesplat1 at msn.com
Fri Apr 18 23:01:04 AKDT 2003

So flying at 1/2 throttle will conserve fuel.  The Olympian I've flown the
past several years was quite unsteady at slower air speeds.  The new Oly
MEdal with cheek cowls handles the slow speed much better but on a windy day
still get buffetted terribly, which a little more throttle can help.

My question is what characteristics in a plane allow it to be more "stable"
at slow speeds, allowing more throttle management?  CG, Wing/stab thickness,
wing area, etc.

Thanx in advance

ed

# discussion-request at nsrca.org