Best battery choice? + Current Draw used per flight + more testing

Brian Young b4598070 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 05:31:16 AKDT 2003

I wanted to followup with my latest results from
initiating this thread.

I changed the aileron servos from the old digitals to
new 8311s and the current draw dropped to 1.5 A at
idle (was 2.5-3A with old servos). Running the plane
to wide open saw a slight reduction in current draw,
1.3 A at wide open. Disconnecting the new aileron
servos and the current draw drops to 0.9 A at idle. If
I can hold the rudder servo, dampen the shake, the
current draw would drop to 0.5 A (Aileron Servos
Disconnected), same with elevator.

All this pretty well adds up, with new Ail servos I
get 3 18 minute flights on a 1400 mah pack, so I know
I have little reserve in the pack at the end of the
day. I either measured what was left after a flight,
or measure what I put back in to top the pack off. The
pack cycles at 1350 mah. If my current draw is 1.3 A
average through an 18 minute flight, thats 390 mah per
flight. So thats 1170 mah used per 3 flights. Well, I
always land with a little fuel in the tank, I now know
by the end of the day Im landing with just a little
mah in the battery, not enough I imagine.

I may change my rudder and elevator servos as well.
That 4000 mah li-ion pack is still attractive. I could
fly 5 times and have half the battery capacity left.
My concern with the Li-ions is that I know when its
time to throw away the ni-cads, how do you know the
li-ions are warn out?

=== message truncated ===

=====
Brian Young