Cline Regulator

Mike Turgeman mike at bartan.com
Sat Apr 12 04:42:34 AKDT 2003

Hi Larry
I am just looking for one for the FX 160 please contact me off list to mike at bartan.com
Mike
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: jed241 at msn.com
  To: NSRCA
  Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 9:54 AM
  Subject: Cline Regulator

  I bought a Cline Regulator a couple years ago. I tried it on an OS 91FX w/ Remote Needle. The feedback I got from pattern land was it didn't work with this engine because of the remote needle valve. So I put it up and didn't complain.

  Now I have a similar situation with an MDS 58 w/ C2 Carb, but the needle valve is on the carb. I have the same exact problem as before with the 91FX.

  I can get it to idle and fair midrange. But after a couple minutes at full throttle it goes way lean.

  I'm at a loss and don't understand why this is the case. Is a small engine not compatible with the Cline Regulator? Am I doing something wrong?

  I have a pretty diverse technical background, so I have confidence the system was set up correctly (per the instructions). I did measure the tank pressure and verified that it will reach a minimum of 3psi using an electric starter with out firing up the engine. It held it for over an hour with no noticeable drop in pressure. I don't believe I have a leak in the fuel line to the carb because air isn't present in the line.

  Is it possible that at high RPM, the tank pressure drops below 2 psi even with a working check valve to the tank?

  It would do fine up to about 7,000 RPM. Anything over that and it leans out and dies. Hot to the point of lost compression. Not good..

  I pulled it out and will try a Perry Pump. This solved my problem on the 91FX.

  I would like to understand the problem, however, I will offer it to anyone that wants it free of charge. I can't ask money for it cause I don't know if it's defective or if it's my lack of understanding. My alternative is to throw it out. I don't have a use for it even if I could sort it out. 1st e-mail by time stamp is the new owner. Outside of US, I might need to ask for the actual shipping charges but we'll see.

  Would appreciate any thoughts you folks might have.

  Larry Diamond
  NSRCA 3083
  AMA 5024