Trophies

Keith Black tkeithb at attbi.com
Thu Apr 10 18:22:24 AKDT 2003

I'm not to the point that I'm collecting Pattern trophies yet, but I used to
be in fencing and had the same experience that you describe.

When I first started low in the ranks in fencing it was a real thrill to
finally take home a trophies every now and then. But after a few years they
really didn't mean as much most of the time. I guess the problem is that the
guy that wins first and second once or twice a month probably doesn't care
if there are trophies, but the guy that wins his first contest would
probably be bummed out if he didn't receive anything to take home and show
off. Especially when it's the first time to beat the guys that have spanked
him time and time again. This guy really need something to hold over his
head and yell woohooo!

My 2 cents,
Keith Black