Top Hinging Ailerons and Elevators

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Mon Apr 7 11:13:48 AKDT 2003

Whoa! that had to be exciting, Earl!!  Good thing you have a strong
ticker!

--Lance

EHaury at aol.com
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
04/07/2003 12:58 PM
Please respond to discussion

        To:     discussion at nsrca.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Top Hinging Ailerons and Elevators

Probably the biggest reason for top (or near top) hinging anything is
weight savings when using very large ailerons on relatively thick wings as
may be the case with AA 3D designs.

If 45 degrees of travel is desired, and even if both the aileron and wing
are beveled, a quite thick balsa edge is needed to do it conventionally.
With top hinging the foam can be cut to the bevel and sheeted with 1/16,
having only some 1/4" insets for the hinges. Saves a bunch of weight.

As for the gap, on my Widebody 60 with top hinging and very wide bevel on
the bottom (actual gaps sealed) there was no deleterious effect. I did
tape (front edge only) some 1/64 ply "covers" over the bevel opening and
saw no change in upright flight. Nearly crashed in inverted flight as the
covers stood up like spoilers in the now lower pressure area (top).

Earl