Top Hinging Ailerons and Elevators

s.vannostrand at kodak.com s.vannostrand at kodak.com
Mon Apr 7 09:27:48 AKDT 2003

I've done several models this way, but have never elected to do a pattern
ship this way.  My reasons aren't verified by wind tunnel testing, but
they are (hopefully) at least rational.

An aileron requiring 20 degrees of down throw requires a 20 degree bevel.
When center hinged the disruption in the airfoil is equal on top and
bottom of the wing, and is minimized.  When top hinged, although it looks
pretty, there is a major disruption on the bottom wing surface and almost
none on top.  I think the extreme size of the "vee" on the bottom is
enough to affect the sensitive flight characteristice of a pattern plane.
Add to that the fact that Advanced and Masters spend almost half their
time inverted and you see you need an airfoil that is effective in both
attitudes.

One thing I have contemplated, but not done, is offset hinged my ailerons.
 You know, the kind of hinging where the leading edge of teh aileron is
rounded and the hingepoint pivot is at the center of the circle?  This
could be done light and would eliminate gaps altogether.

--Lance

"Mike Turgeman" <mike at bartan.com>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
04/07/2003 03:07 AM